CAR T-cell therapy is a treatment that re-engineers a patient’s T-cells with synthetic proteins called chimeric antigen receptors (CARs) which enhance the T-cell’s ability to recognise and kill cancer cells.
CAR T-cell therapy has proven effective in some diseases including B-cell malignancies, however, it is not effective in all patient populations.
CAR T-cell therapy continues to be a topic of ongoing clinical research nationally and internationally.
By the end of this rapid learning you will be able to:
- explain how CAR T-cell therapy works to treat some cancers
- identify the indications for CAR T-cell therapy
- describe the CAR T-cell therapy clinical process
- list common toxicities associated with CAR T-cell therapy and identify their signs and symptoms.
Viewing this on mobile? Tell us what you thought. Complete the survey.
Case study podcast
This Rapid Listening, we hear from Erica Smeaton, National Nurse Manager at Lymphoma Australia who shares their experience with CAR T-cell therapy.
Download the eviQ Education app to access exclusive content.
Use the QR code to access to CAR T-cell therapy mini quiz, or visit our mini quizzes homepage for more information.
CAR T-cell therapy referral centres and contacts
- B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukaemia tisagenlecleucel 2020 V.1, eviQ Cancer Treatments Online, Cancer Institute NSW, viewed 16 Feb 2022, eviq.org.au/p/3832
- Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma tisagenlecleucel 2020 V.1, eviQ Cancer Treatments Online, Cancer Institute NSW, viewed 16 Feb 2022, eviq.org.au/p/3839
- Chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapy, Lymphoma Australia, viewed 16 Feb 2022, https://www.lymphoma.org.au/about-lymphoma/treatments/targeted-therapy/chimeric-antigen-receptor-car-t-cell-therapy/
- Maude, S.L., Laetsch, T.W., Buechner, J., Rives, S., Boyer, M., Bittencourt, H., Bader, P., Verneris, M.R., Stefanski, H.E., Myers, G.D. and Qayed, M., 2018. Tisagenlecleucel in children and young adults with B-cell lymphoblastic leukemia. New England Journal of Medicine, 378(5), pp.439-448.
- Schuster, S.J., Bishop, M.R., Tam, C.S., Waller, E.K., Borchmann, P., McGuirk, J.P., Jäger, U., Jaglowski, S., Andreadis, C., Westin, J.R. and Fleury, I., 2019. Tisagenlecleucel in adult relapsed or refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. New England Journal of Medicine, 380(1), pp.45-56.